Friday, July 07, 2006

Kudzu the vine that ate the south.

Kudzu
the vine that ate the south.


Kudzu
'Pueraria lobata, Fabaceae'


I love INVASIVE Plants.
Ajuga is ONE of my all time fav-Not only is it totally uggo it spreads faster than warm butter on a hot roll...

My 'all time' - all time fav-or-ite invasive plant to talk about is kudzu. It is very hard to eradicate and has been called
invasive,
noxious
,
a nuisance plant
sniff, sniff
kinda harsh if you ask me.

I truly enjoy seeing sweet little pansys being choked out
by kudzu. I am thinking of harvesting and propagating as much as I can...
I think it is just beautiful, don't you?

;)

-insert evil laff here-


oh,
did I mention that Kudzu is
also known as 'the vine that ate the south' ?
...that makes me laff...



Kudzu
'Pueraria lobata, Fabaceae'

Kudzu, originally imported in the late 1800s, is a woody vine whose extremely rapid and aggressive growth has made it a highly successful and widely disliked invasive species throughout much of the southern United States. A kudzu vine can grow as much sixty feet in one season and can starve even fully mature trees of light, water, and life sustaining nutrients.

Kudzu literally chokes the life out of other living woody plants and trees. Right now in the United States, kudzu covers more than 3 million acres across 21 southern states. Researchers state it blankets an area "nearly the size of Connecticut" =0)
Down our road Kudzu vines are growing up and over anything and everything in its path. It has taken over many trees, bushes, garden areas, barns, out buildings and telephone wires.
Kudzu is the focus of many current eradication efforts. And to think it was FIRST imported for shade and to help with water erosion in cotton fields. If you haven't seen kudzu growing naturally it is a must-see. Before you purchase any plants or introduce any new species in your area, check and make sure it is not an invasive species.






Return to EVIL Missy in the gardenHome Page